Double the chocolate means double the YES! This double chocolate fudge zucchini bread recipe is so rich and moist! You’re going to love it!
Last year I made double chocolate zucchini muffins which totally became a crowd favorite, and for that I am grateful, but we also received so many questions about making it into bread, I decided to throw this recipe out there as well.
And I totally get it! Sometimes a gorgeous loaf is more appropriate for an occasion than muffins. So it’s good to have a recipe for both options!
Ingredients for Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe
Here is a list of the ingredients you will need to make double chocolate zucchini bread:
- Flour – just good ol’ all purpose will do here
- Dutch Process Cocoa Powder – the first half of the double chocolate
- Baking Soda – helps with leavening
- Baking Powder – helps with leavening making it fluffy
- Salt – needs to be in all baked goods to enhance the sweetness
- Vegetable Oil – makes the bread so moist
- Sour Cream – hello moist bread!
- Eggs – provide structure to the bread and work with the flour to give the bread its height
- Vanilla Extract – flavor
- Sugar – all the sweetness
- Zucchini – the key to keep this bread moist
- Mini Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips – the second half of the double chocolate and they make the loaf look so pretty
The measurements for each ingredient is listed in the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to Make Chocolate Zucchini Bread
The steps for making this zucchini bread is fairly straightforward. Combine dry ingredients, combine wet ingredients, add the zucchini, and combine everything, bake and eat! It’s that simple! Here they are in a list format:
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine all the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- PRO TIP: Sugar is considered a wet ingredient because it dissolves when it gets wet. So it’s measured as a dry ingredient but usually gets added to the wet ingredients for proper mixing and baking.
- Add the zucchini into the wet ingredients and stir it in.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry with most of the chocolate chips and fold everything together. Mix until just combined.
- Preheat oven and spray 3 bread pans with nonstick spray.
- Bake. When done, turn off the oven and slide the rack out slightly and let them sit for a few minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
All the instructions can be found in the recipe card below in full detail.
Tips for Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini really, absolutely needs to be grated using the find grater. This will allow the zucchini to really melt into the bread.
- Yes, leave the peel on. This peel is not going to show up in the bread but it will help to bind the bread.
What is Dutch Process Cocoa?
Dutch process cocoa has been alkalized making it less bitter, more mellow in flavor and darker in color.
You can use regular unsweetened cocoa if you don’t have Dutch unprocessed, but you’ll need to increase your baking soda a little.
Why is This Bread So Good?
Just wait until your sink your teeth into this tender chocolate bread! There are so many reasons to love it! Here are a few of them:
- It’s so easy to make that I almost let me 5yo do it himself.
- Double the chocolate from the dutch process cocoa and chocolate chips
- A lot of times chocolate baked goods can end up dry but this bread stays super moist from the oil, sour cream and zucchini.
- You feel like you’re eating chocolate cake, but you’re actually eating vegetables!
Is Zucchini Bread Healthy?
Oh how I wish it was! Yes, you are eating a vegetable, but with all the oil, sugar, sour cream, flour and chocolate chips added, I’m afraid there isn’t much healthy about it. BUT it is absolutely worth the it! In moderation of course!
Can You Freeze Zucchini Bread?
Yes, zucchini bread freezes really well. Bake the bread as instructed and let it cool completely. Wrap the loaf in foil and then in a zip top plastic bag. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How Long Will Chocolate Zucchini Bread Keep?
Zucchini bread will keep at room temperature for 2-3 days. If you want it to last a little longer, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
Put all that zucchini that is bursting out of our garden to good use with this double chocolate zucchini bread recipe! It is so chocolatey and fudgy! You will feel like you are eating chocolate cake!
More Desserts that Use Zucchini:
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 3 Cups Flour plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 Cup Dutch Process Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream *see note
- 4 Eggs large
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 4 Cups Zucchini very finely grated, (about 3-4 zucchini)
- 2 Cups Mini Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips divided
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, sour cream, eggs, vanilla, and white sugar.
Stir the zucchini in and then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients along with 3/4 cup of mini chocolate chips (Reserve a few of the chocolate chips to sprinkle on top of the muffins) and using a rubber spatula, fold until just combined.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray 3 8×5″ bread pans (or 2 larger or 4-5 small) with nonstick spray.
Pour the batter just over 1/2 of the way full in each pan. Place some reserved chocolate chips on top of each batter.
Bake for 50-60 minutes at 350°. Touch the tops and if they don’t sink in they are done (or until toothpick comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs attached). Turn off the oven and open the door, gently sliding the rack out a little. Let them sit for a good 2-3 minutes then remove to cool on the counter on a wire rack.
*Out of sour cream? Just use plain yogurt 🙂
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Amount Per Serving (1 slice)
Calories from Fat 63
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 4g25%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Vitamin A 84IU2%
Vitamin C 2mg2%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.